Domestic abuse can be between current or former partners in an intimate relationship, or between a family member, wherever and whenever it occurs.
The abuse may include physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse.
Physical violence can be:
Sexual abuse can be:
- Forced pregnancy/termination
- Withdrawal of contraception
- Enforced prostitution
- Derogatory remarks
- Making you feel like you should do things you don’t want to
Emotional abuse can be:
- Constant put downs
- Financial deprivation
- Constraints on going out, friendships, contacts, checking phone/social media etc
- Sleep deprivation
- Verbal abuse
- Controlling behaviour
- Constant and/or abusive texts/phone calls and harassment
Domestic abuse can take place across culture, religion, disability, gender, education, status, race, sexuality, age, class and nationality.